Sunday, October 27, 2013

Florence, Italy-The Indescribable City, The Soul City




Florence is a city for the soul.











Specifically built, I think, to reflect the beauty and the dark and hidden secrets of our souls.








You could spend a lifetime exploring and walking only a few streets. 


As in most European cities, a river lies at the heart of Florence, lending movement and life to the stationary buildings. 


The views from this river are lovely enough to remain in one's mind for a lifetime or more. Imprinting themselves on the soul. 


My first day in Florence, or as the Italians call it Firenze, I joined some wonderful new friends from my hostel in climbing to the roof of the city and enjoyed the view of the soul city stretched out around me. 


That night, as is my tradition, I wandered the streets of Florence with a young Argentinian who I also knew from my hostel. 

It was his life's dream to see Italy.

Combined with my ability to see astonishing beauty in the tiniest of objects and places, our stroll became so meaningful in our own separate ways that the others in our hostel were startled when we returned practically glowing with adoration for such a city. 





What made our night stroll so special was our destination. 





A destination that is stunning and breathtaking in the light of day but fills the very soul at night.

























The view from Piazzale Michelangelo is so captivating that I returned the next night and returned alone along the river to my hostel feeling as I never had before-a completed soul.



I left Firenze happy, knowing a new version of the word, and sad, knowing a new depth of that word as well. 




I vowed to return, knowing in my heart that it would be a miracle if I ever again left Italy. 










So I warned my family that I may never return to the States and boarded a train to a small Italian town beside the coast to fulfill a childhood dream and sadly waved goodbye to my beloved Firenze-my Soul City. 











1 comment:

  1. So you saw a copy of David. The original is marble; this one bronze. Beautiful all the same. I yearn to be there...so happy you made it.....and loved it.

    ReplyDelete